Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs - Public Transportation
The general route consists of getting to downtown Colorado Springs, then Manitou Springs. Manitou Springs is where the trailhead begins for Barr Trail.
- Map for Colorado Springs Locations - Use this map for all of the area public transportation stops.
- COS Airport (Location "A" on map link above) - Presently there is no public bus service from the airport. You will need to take a taxi or your hotel shuttle.
- Greyhound Bus ("B" on map)- The Greyhound terminal is two blocks from the metro bus terminal. Greyhound does not connect with COS airport.
- Metro Bus ("C" on map) - From the metro bus terminal, located in downtown Colorado Springs, you need bus #3 to Manitou (does NOT run on Sunday). This is the only bus which will take you all the way to Manitou Springs. The stops are located every few blocks along Colorado and Manitou Avenues, look for the purple colored "Metro" signs. Get off the bus at the corner of Manitou Ave./Ruxton Ave ("D" on map). This begins your hike up Ruxton to the trailhead approx. 3/4 mile ("E" on map).
- Taxi - There are two taxi cab companys servicing the area:
Denver - Public Transportation
- Map for Downtown Denver Locations - Use this map for all downtown stops.
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- SkyRide Airport Bus service provides service from the airport to a variety of locations.
- AF Line - Downtown Denver stops: Greyhound bus station ("C" on map link above) and Market Street Station, 16th Street and Market ("B" on map). Only a few blocks from Union Station.
- Union Station (Location "A" on map) - Downtown Denver, Wynkoop and 17th St. This is the central train/bus/lightrail transportation hub.
- Suggestion - If you have time built in to your schedule, next to Union Station is the 16th street mall; a wonderful resturant/shopping district, see map. The street is wonderful to walk as it is closed to vehicle traffic except for a free shuttle.
- Amtrak - At Union Station. The California Zephyer has daily service through Denver.
- Southern Colorado connection - There is also an Amtrak train connection to the cities of Lamar, La Junta, and Trinidad with bus service north to Colorado Springs.
- Greyhound - Main bus station ("C" on map), a few blocks from Union Station, some of the buses stop at Union Station.
- LightRail - Union Station and other downtown stops. May be useful for connections between Downtown and SkyRide.
Pike's Peak Cog Railway - If you wish to extend your public transportation one step further to get to Barr Camp, check out a ride on the Cog Railroad. They will drop you off 1.5 mile away from Barr Camp. You cannot get a ride any closer to the camp than this option.